Friday, October 21, 2011

A Blessing

I've been a terrible blogger, for those few of you who read this thang.
At the start of the school year, and even throughout the summer, I was able to be a resource for the students going on this year's Global Gap Year (GGY) with Thinking Beyond Borders. There are two GGY groups this year as well as a Gap Semester group in Ecuador, which is so exciting! More driven and bright students who want to learn about creating change on a local and global scale. Anyway, some students emailed me with questions and concerns, and I attempted to allay those concerns and answer their questions from my experience with TBB. It was such a neat thing, reflecting on my journey and really beginning to understand the gravity of what we did.
I did a huge thing.
I took a trip around the world! For eight months! It's amazing how quickly I make that seem like no big deal.
But anyway, I keep receiving emails and updates from Robin, and my TBB group has a thread going on Facebook that's particularly active right now. I am just realizing what a rare community I am a part of: people who genuinely care, who work and think hard, not for themselves, but for the sake of others.
What a beautiful picture of God's grace and how we are created in His image! 
I am so blessed to have had this opportunity. And it just makes me more excited for whatever it is that I end up doing in life. The Lord has made it clear in the past few weeks that I can use my passions and talents as a way to give people a voice--to share their stories with the world in ways that will affect lasting change.
I don't really know the details surrounding that yet, but the Lord is gracious and he provides, so I'll figure it out eventually.
Basically, I'm just thrilled to be a part of something like TBB. That trip truly changed my life in so many ways. I think differently now, I question everything--but not in a maddening way. I question the way things are done because I am always wondering if there is a better way. And I find that I am more willing to take on a challenge; if I believe in something, I'll stop at nothing to get it done. That is all attributed, by God's grace, to Thinking Beyond Borders. TBB stretched me, pushed me, infuriated me, and ultimately allowed me to see exactly what it is I am capable of: anything I put my mind to.
So. I'm excited to say I've found some students here at Davidson who are like-minded; they believe in the power of youth creating change and of real, grassroots level work. We are beginning a youth-service initiative here in Davidson, and things are moving fairly quickly. I don't want to spoil anything, but once we really get things up and running, I will post something more in depth about that project.
(Get excited. It's gonna be awesome.)
Also. I'll be posting soon about college in general and the adventures I've had the past couple months.
Thanks for reading this long, rambling post. And I have to say thanks to Mrs. Dougherty, who found TBB for me and encouraged me to take a gap year--I would not be where I am without you! Thanks to Robin, Chris, Andrea, and my awesome PLs for your vision and everything you do to serve all the TBB students. Just know that I am so grateful to be a part of such a passionate and inspiring community.
Blessed.

Also. I was looking through pics from TBB. Here are some highlights:
 Me and Colin
 Ecuador host family and Alex
 Inca Trail budsss
 This was a random Indian family who wanted a picture with us at the Taj!
 The girls with Scott at the top of the cathedral in Quito. I miss them!
 First ride to Los Naranjos--in the back of the truck. Yes please.
 You know, just jumping on the Great Wall with the girls.
 Laughing at a fort in India. Love these girls.
 Looking ridiculous on the Inca Trail on Halloween. Raynie, I miss you!
Sweet friends. In freezing cold China.

Thanks for stopping by! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment