Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sweating in South Africa

I know. That's a pretty gross title. But hey, that's my life right now! We arrived in Port Elizabeth, South Africa on Saturday, the 12th at about...i dunno, 12pm, probably. We got lunch in the airport while we waited for our driver (I got peanut M&Ms and a Stoney--just for you Danny--and finished off a bag of chips from the plane. Well-balanced, right?), and then spent the next threeish hours driving to Rocky Road. Rocky Road is the home of Willing Workers in South Africa, an NGO who is setting up our stay here. It's about 30 minutes from Plett proper, and it is beautiful here. There's green everywhere and fresh air--such a change from India! The first night we had burgers (one of the best I've ever had probably, and I'm not joking), and since then we've continued to have delicious food. We've spent the past few days mainly relaxing and seeing the area. The beach isn't far, and today we spent the morning walking through Kurland village, which is right across the gorge. Last night, Mary, Kasha, Mckinley, Eirann, and I had an awesome Nerts battle. Mary came out on top and I was second (tryin to make the Nelson clan proud :) haha). On Thursday we leave for Plett and get placed in our homestays. This year is a little different: Because of a shortage of homestay families, we are split into two houses that are accustomed to taking boarders. I am in a house with Mckinley, Rayn, Maddie, Alex, Eirann, and Lauren. We'll meet with PlettAid on Friday and figure out who has which careworker. We are each working with a careworker individually, which I am actually quite excited about. I can't wait to start our work here. In addition to making rounds through the townships with careworkers, we'll be spending two afternoons a week volunteering at a preschool or a women's shelter or something of that nature.
So South Africa is pretty much awesome. We are all loving our time here so far, in spite of the sickness that has yet again attacked about half the group (I think our stomachs are just adjusting from India). I've been fine however, and I'm just trying to take everything in. I'm already in love with this place; I can tell I'm really going to want to come back. The people here are so nice--I love hearing "Hello! How are you?" from complete strangers. I love seeing the South Africans interact with each other. There's a pleasantness about this place, and I hope to capture that spirit and bring it home to the States.
We'll see how that goes. :)
Other than that, I am just anxiously anticipating a phone call informing me that my niece is arriving! We are nine days from my sweet sister's due date, and I am so excited! I know Caitlin is too, so I've been praying that her baby will come out sooner, rather than later. :)
I'll do my best to let everyone know how the work here is going, so hopefully I'll write again soon. For now, know that I am loving South Africa and am in no hurry to come home!
Just kidding Mom. :)
(But not really.)

2 comments:

  1. Well....trying not to be hurt---actually, I'm THRILLED that you are enjoying it. It's much easier on me when you are happy! But May 8th can't come soon enough for me! Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Just wanted to let you know that I have been enjoying your blogs. Enjoy Africa!! I am hoping that you will get to attend a cool African church while you are there. There is nothing like worshiping with Africans! Mrs. Myers

    ReplyDelete