Thursday, January 27, 2011

Top Twelve Things I've Learned in India

Yes this is a top twelve.
Enjoy.


12. It has not been this cold in Rajasthan since 1905. According to my host mom at least.
11. I know how to carry cow poop. I am actually a master at this now. If you need any help making organic fertilizer from animal excrete, I’m your girl.
However, I will only explain what to do, I will not, repeat, WILL NOT, take part in the process.
10. Want to get somewhere? Speak in an Indian accent. It helps get you where you need to go. (Can you see me talking to an auto rickshaw driver in an Indian accent, headbob and all? No? Well I have. And I do.)
9. I am obsessed with peanut butter, and it’s possible that I can’t live without it. (Thanks to Shopper’s Paradise, I don’t have to!)
8. I know how to juice, cut, and gel aloe vera plants. I also know how to slice up my fingers in the process.
7. I am capable of not eating meat for an extended period of time.
6. The headbob is essential for communication. A simple wiggle or shake of the head can communicate acceptance, appreciation, happiness, that you’re fine. Surprisingly though, this form of communication is never used for, “no.”
5. Anokhi is the place to eat. End of story.
4. You must honk your horn. If you don’t, you will get hit by another vehicle, and you will die.
3. You have to go to the bathroom? And you’re male? Don’t worry about walking all the way to a bathroom! Just grab a bit of wall and face away from the road—problem solved!
2. Staring is okay. Like really—it’s fine. You can stare at the foreign white girl walking down the road. Actually, you know what, just go ahead and leer. That’s what really floats my boat.
1. Grow organic. Eat organic…SAVE THE EARTH!

3 comments:

  1. Just ask Kelsey about the head bobble. I believe it was her NUMBER ONE take away from India last summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love...LOVE.LOVE.LOVE!!!!! Thanks---this give such perspective to me---and it made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh---my little "captcha phrase" was just derve==it made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete