Thursday, November 18, 2010

I'm in China!!

China.
Mulan. Fried rice. Asians! Pei Wei. LOTS of people. People who eat dog. People who speak the amazing language of Chinglish. Communist.

This is probably what the average American thinks of when they think of China. And this is kind of what I thought of before I landed in Kunming on November 6th, after 40 hours of travel, during which I and my group never experienced November 5th, 2010.

We arrived exhausted, sleeping the entire way thought the 3 hour bus ride to the smaller city of Tonghai.. After getting "orientated" (yes, I know that oriented is the correct term) and spending some time with some Chinese students, we drove back to Kunming and met our host families. We were all pretty nervous for this one I think--you see we're all staying alone here in China, and none of us speak the language. And then we settled in and began figuring out our individual routines--bus routes, bike routes, which way to walk, what to do when we get lost. We are getting used to seeing Chinese characters everywhere, not using words like, "Esta bien," "Gracias", and "Aqui!" We've also been spending time figuring out where the good "Western" restaurants are, as well as where a movie theatre is to see the new Harry Potter movie (which we now all have tickets to. We will be seeing it at 7pm tomorrow, our time of course. Everyone in the group is going. It's going to be a truly epic event on this trip. We might even dress up!) We now have a general idea of how to make a 40 minute lesson plan for middle and high schoolers because we just finished our first week of teaching.

I'm not sure how to describe my time here in China yet. It's actually been quite a rollercoaster. I've experienced completely absurd moments--mainly Chinese class, when we find out that we've been saying something completely wrong for a week (for example, Eirann interrupted class yesterday when she came to the realization that whenever she'd asked her family for "hot water" she had actually been asking for "water people".....it was an excellent moment). I've been incredibly frustrated---from missing home, to hating the food, to not being able to communicate with my host mom, to feeling like my students will not gain anything from my teaching. I've also had moments where I see how incredibly blessed I am--like this morning at breakfast. I sat there with my host mom, eating oatmeal, a sweet potato, a boiled egg, a tiny purple potato the size of a large grape, and a peeled apple, and I realized how utterly ridiculous and unbelievable it is that I am on this trip. I've had moments of deep sadness---when I read emails from my family and friends, when I saw pictures of my sister and her pregnant belly, when I want to be with them on the holidays coming up, but know that I can't.

I've had times of confusion--as I think about education and what it means to have an oppressive or liberating education, as I think about the purpose of education and how that can vary across cultures. And I've had moments of joy---telling a joke today about a squash and a boiling pot of water, seeing the excitement for Harry Potter build, going to KFC three days in a row with Mckinley and others, understanding something in Chinese, and having an incredibly fun and successful class with some of our 7th graders.

This is the nature of the trip. You never know what the next day is going to be like. It may be a really hard day, it may be one where you're exhausted, it may be one where you can't stop laughing with everyone here, or it may be one where you're simply content with where you are.

I'm trying to remain content with where I am. As I've stated in other posts, I'm learning so much: about relationships with others and how to have patience, to let the little things go, how to be more globally minded, how to be wrong, how to use my education as I think about these issues, how to get around a large, foreign city, how to be alone, but not really alone, and how to depend on Christ.

I hope I can keep these lessons at the front of my mind. And I hope that when the days are hard here--when I'm sick and tired of the bus, the cold, and the Chinese food---I will remember what an amazing blessing this trip is, and how fortunate I am to be here.

I have probably 3 or 4 more posts coming up (The Inca Trail, teaching here in China, and one about some books I've read lately) so bear with me! :) Thanks for reading, and everyone back home---thanks for praying and supporting me! Love you guys!

3 comments:

  1. We sure do love you! Hannah, we are very mindful of you and this experience and pray for your comfort, peace, and encouragement. Teaching takes time... I've been taking yearbook photos in the Lower School and have noticed that in most of the classrooms I have visited, the teachers call their students 'friends.' I'm not sure if this is a LS mandate or just the nature of these teachers -- I think either is possible -- but it is a characteristic that I valued in my most favorite college professor. He always greeted us as friends. You are fortunate to have precious friends -- and calling your students friends may stretch your definition, but I think it might be worth a try (even if you just consider them friends in your head). And remember, you are a fantastic friend -- I believe that the characteristics that have grown that in you will grow in you the gift of teaching. We'll keep praying! Big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post.
    ^This is a terrible comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear Hannah, keep pushing through. I know when we did our homestays in Turkey we were all terrified. The language, the culture, the religion- everything was different. But actually, we learned that they were quite like we are. While I couldn't 'talk' to my family, sitting with them in the evening while I journaled and they watched their Turkish soap opera was quite peaceful. My Turkish mom knitted and chastised her youngest to do her homework, just like my mom at home does. Look for the little things that are similar to home... hopefully that will help ease your homesickness.
    We also did tutoring in local schools in Turkey. It was so frustrating. Teaching is frustrating. It's hard. But I know you guys are doing an excellent job and just remember the difference you are making to those students and their futures.
    Can't wait to hear what's next for you!

    ReplyDelete